Friday, August 24, 2007

What's The Holdup With HotDC?

Actually, it was sitting on Lulu at 32 pages and ready to go. I could have put the Quick Start Charts book out there and got to work on the Dwarven Dungeon. I need to get a few more ideas and a second level map drawn up for that, and then it's ready for the typing stage. But, back to the charts...

After Gencon, I got to thinking. Is there something missing that would make it better? Understand, it was never my desire to make this project the full book with all the bells and whistles. It was basically a reference for me to go over my notes easier. However, it took on a life of it's own, got bigger and bigger and became what it is.

But could I add something more to it? The Creature and Incantation lists are very basic. You get what you need to make it work. The Treasure Charts with respect to magic are basic as well. They will be fleshed out further in the main rulebook. Combat went from a basic chart to bigger explanation in this book because it was needed.

As I prepared for Gencon, I felt certain this was ready to go. It was uploaded. The covers were uploaded. The pdf was set for free, while the book has a slight fee. But I wanted to take a final look at things in Indy before going ahead with it. Alas, I never had enough computer time to do much. I could have released it, but I chose not to.

On the plane flight home, I thought about it and decided I could do one more thing. The intro in the book has been expanded, and so has the section for Character Creation. I felt it was needed to make it easier to start playing. I have even redone the covers. Unfortunately, I have no artist, so I'm doing what I can with what I have. Still looks pretty nice. I also have a name for my gaming effort and basic logo, which will be announced soon.

If all goes well, I would like to redo the book and possibly put it on Lulu within a week. It needs to be done right, so I'm not setting a firm date. What I want is for somebody to look at this book and be able to start a game within minutes. Stay tuned for more information.

No comments: