Thursday, August 23, 2007

Batch #1 of Gencon Photos

Okay, I brought a camera with three rolls of film to Gencon, but the camera seemed to be broken. Fortunately, I had a backup plan. My small $10 digital camera. Quality isn't great and I am a little bit rusty about pointing and clicking, but these will give you some idea of what I saw. I had to carry my laptop with me at all times as the camera doesn't store photos, only takes 18 pictures at a time and runs low on battery power quickly if you aren't paying attention. So, here some of them are:


The Main Exhibitors area is huge and takes at least 1 full day to take it all in properly. Actually, budgeting your time between seminars, games and everything else means you will use all four days to get a good look at this area. Anything you can imagine associated with gaming is represented, including lots of models suitable for miniature game play, such as the one pictured above.


The Gencon game auction was in full swing from Thursday to Saturday night and lots of rare items were auction off. I picked up an old Basic D&D Module here and got Frank Mentzer, the author of one of the versions of Basic D&D, to autograph that book. Frank was an auctioneer here along with Tim Kask, the original editor of Dragon Magazine. Didn't get to meet him though.


Who ya gonna call? These two Ghostbusters were just a sample of the people who got into the spirit of costumes at Gencon. It added to the enjoyment of the weekend.



There were two exhibitors I noticed who had swords and other weapons for sale. Of course, if I did buy one of these things, it would have been fun getting it on the plane. Didn't even want to risk it in this post 9-11 world.


There were three booths selling all sorts of out of print RPG goodies. This one was Crazy Egors. Though there were some high priced items, I did manage to find a couple of rare goodies at an affordable price for my Basic D&D collection. The booth right next to it dropped a bunch of books on the floor a $2 a piece as I was waiting to get into a D&D Demo Game at the Wizards of the Coast booth. I bought 8 of them before getting onto the game, including some Hollow World game books still in the shrink wrap.


This is one of those D&D games. The Wizards booth had several demos, about ten if I recall correctly. If you did at least two of them (I did three), you could get in line to roll the big 20 sided dice for a prize. Every roll wins. I rolled a 19 with my bonuses and won a goody back with a Forgotten Realms novel and a Star Wars miniatures game book.


Another of those big models for miniatures games. I got several different pictures during the course of the weekend.



In the lobby area coming in were a few different musicians playing Celtic music and music you would associate with a Fantasy Game or movie.


This lady played the harp and was the lead singer.


Another shot of the lead singer.



To wrap this group of pictures up, there is another miniatures setup for a coming game. Man, the games that were played. Not just fantasy either. There were war games, space games and other cool games.

More to come. Stay tuned!

No comments: