Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Gencon Ramblings 1

Some comments I posted at the Kenzer forum

I was there for my first Gencon ever, but I signed up the day before the con and didn't get into any of the games I wanted. Won't make that mistake next time.

I did get to meet Gary Gygax, Dave Arneson, Frank Mentzer, the Kenzer Crew, Erol Otus, Larry Elmore, Ken St. Andre and so many other cool people I wanted to meet. Added to my collection, was a fan boy and got autographs.

If you haven't been to one of these deals, you should go. There's so much going on, you don't know where to start.

Among the events I did sign up for were the Kenzer Meet & Greet and the Live Reading. Two of the highlights of my of the event for me. The Kenzer Crew loves what they do and it shows. The Knights are my favorite product, but I can't want til the new Hackmaster comes out in a couple years.

An interesting thing happened when I was waiting for the Blackmoor Seminar to start. They changed Daves on us. Instead of Arneson, we got Kenzer. Arneson did show for the Gen Con History Seminar a few hours later, so that was cool.

The cool thing was that most of the people in the Blackmoor deal stayed to hear Kenzer and were fans. Dave answered questions, and I was definitely interested in his take on a certain game out on the net that I've been looking at.

Saw the Dragonlance movie preview. Looks interesting.

Talked to one of the Wizards about 4e. We'll see, but I do like the covers and the idea of Basic D&D returning.

Michael Stackpole did three writing seminars that I attended. Really good stuff, and you can see that he has a passion for writing.

Spent a lot of money at the booths. Found some stuff for my classic collection.

There were so many booths there that you need the four days to take it all in.

If you haven't been to Gencon and are interested, you should go. Sign up early though and get in on the games you wanna play. And, sign up for the Knights Live Reading and Kenzer Meet & Greet, because you'll have fun and laugh your butt off.

No comments: