Monday, July 16, 2007

Working On Rogue Ability & Incantation Charts

When I started this journey with HotDC, I used the old red book, Moldvay Edition as a jumping off point. I still intend to lay stuff out in a similar format with a different style if that makes sense. I think the way things are explained makes a game easier to learn or lose the gamer's interest. Take Tunnels & Trolls for instance. I actually like this game. It was the first non D&D RPG game I ever played back in 82 or so. The T&T Rule Book wasn't laid out all that great back then. I figured they did it that way on purpose to stay different from the game they made reference to as "that other game" a time or two in the book.

Well, 25 years later, I checked out the latest edition and was disappointed at the layout once again. It is a simple set of rules, but I think the layout leaves a little to be desired. I'm sure it sells fine and my opinion is b.s., but it lacks Monster Descriptions, Magic Items listings, the Spell Listings could be different. If I were going to DM a game of T&T, using that book would be a bit of a pain in the butt. What monsters do I started with? What about at 3rd level? If I'm using the book to use one of those T&T Solo Adventures, it's fine, but for DM'ing? I had intended to pick up a copy, but why bother when I already have the old book? I had hopes things would be better explained.

But, could it be that they did it this way to avoid legal issues with TSR all those years ago and wish to play it safe now? Perhaps, although it is funny. TSR was sent a legal letter to remove Hobbits and Balrogs, among other things, from D&D way back then. The T&T book I saw at the store still had them. Guess they sneaked in under the radar on that one. Please don't think I'm attacking T&T, because I really like this game. It is simple and easy to learn, which is one of its main selling points. The layout could be a little better after all these years, without losing the simplicity of the game. It could actually make it better.

On to Heroes of the Dungeon Crawl. I have began reworking the Incantation and Rogue Ability Charts. The reason being that I didn't feel they were different enough from the red book. You are rolling six siders, so the Rogue Chart does look different in that regard. I've given them both a tuneup. The actual mechanic isn't changing that much, but the way it's explained is. Hopefully I will update the HotDC Quick Start Charts to reflect that in the next day or two.

You walk a fine line when designing a game when others have set the ground work before you. Even though the feel you wish to emulate is of a game not even on the shelves anymore, in favor of a more convoluted set of rules, you need to understand that somebody owns those rules, or at least the descriptions and certain names. This is why HotDC has gone the rout of coining new names and phrases that will accomplish similar things. This process takes time, which is why I have no due date for release.

The tricky part gets when you start messing with the Creatures and Incantations. Certain things are owned by the big guys, and certain things are not. I am seeking to be as careful as I can not to add anything to the book that I shouldn't. Some things you can create a new name and description for, and others it is best not to mess with. My Creature List is only expected to be 100-120 Creatures long at the most, but the Attack-Defense System will allow the Hero Guide to make adjustments for higher or lower Degree Game Characters.

This is not an easy process, but I didn't start doing it because it would be easy. In this day and age when we have computers, big TVs and other things to entertain us, it would be nice to have a simple game that could tempt people to sit down at the table and give gaming a chance. I just don't see that out there right now, and it amazes me that that is the case.

No comments: