Saturday, July 28, 2007

A Few Pictures Of HotDC And Comments


This one is the 11x17 copy of Heroes of The Dungeon Crawl Quick Start Charts version .9, some HotDC Character Sheets, dice, pencils and graph paper. It's all you need to start playing HotDC. Upon thumbing through this 32 page booklet, I caught two more typos and two rules that needed clarification. It's always frustrating to keep finding mistakes, which is one reason I'm debating the lulu release. The next post will expand on that and still more possible Quick Start Chart additions.

Overall, though, I love this book. The rules are there in raw form. This was never intended to fully explain everything, but there's enough info in it to start playing. The Basic Edition of the HotDC Rulebook is meant to go into more details. This is more the nuts and bolts.

These two pages begin to explain the Attack-Defense System (ADS) for HotDC, which is very simple and easy to master. I admit it has a familiar feel to Fighting Fantasy, which I was unaware of at the time. However, there are some key differences that set it apart. ADS is different in several ways. The main point for me was this was a key departure from the Armor Level System I started with for the Six Sided Dice game. The ALS was very similar to the old red book's Armor Class System, which is why I decided to change it after the first test session. I want an old school feel, but HotDC must make its own way.

I've adjusted and changed several mechanics because of my desire not to copy the old game that I loved, and more changes are sure to come. I still feel I am creating a basic game, but it can't just copy the other game. This presents all sorts of challenges and is why the September release date is probably out the window.

This is the notebook I found several months back that revived this project. I started jotting down my first ideas inside this book. I started writing on the backs of receipts and expanding the game until I finally opened up a word pad and started typing and created this blog. I still carry this book with me when I walk and jot down notes as they come to me. I never know how things will evolve with this game, and some rules in this note book have changed a few times.


This is the first page I wrote, calling the game Heroes of The Dungeon Crawl. Some of the stuff on this page has already changed. Wizards are now Mages and Clerics are Priests. Theifs are Rogues. The three traits are still the same, but Battle Strength has become Attack Strength with Defense Strength also added.

I do enjoy the creative process, but having that printed booklet in my hands was a proud moment as well. I am leaning towards releasing the Quick Start Charts booklet on lulu, but I will need a few more days to consider things. The next post will discuss that further.

No comments: