Tuesday, July 24, 2007

11x17 Printing of HotDC Quick Start Charts

Just got back from the printer with my newest copy of version .91 of the HotDC Quick Start Charts. Looks awesome. With what's in this 32 page book, you can play several sessions of HotDC without too much problem. It has all the charts in it that are needed and gives you a good idea of what this game's about. I added 3rd Degree Incantations and added a few more Creatures to it before heading to print, but I'm not sure those will be included in any lulu release of this product. I've been wondering where I should draw the line, and I think I've found it.

Understand that this product is meant to be a taste, not quite like a Basic Edition, but similar in that it's the first three Degrees that are really covered. The actual Basic HotDC Rulebook is meant to have all the Creature and Incantation descriptions in full along with step by step instructions on how to play, very similar in book structure to the way Tom Moldvay did that old red book, though the rules are going to be different in this six sided dice system. Plus, I intend to have instructions for playing game board style. Though I depart in rules, I very much intend to capture the feel of a basic game that is simple to learn and play.

The Quick Start Charts will give you all the basic charts needed to play this game, and I intend to keep an e-mail address in the book for anybody with questions if I do publish this. Also, I hope to keep the cover price for this as low as possible (possibly under $10.00). The reason being that it won't have all the rules of the final products that take you to 10th Degree, and rules may change in this game between now and then. One of the things I am doing is trying to make certain rules less derivative of the old red book, while striving to keep it simple. I think I have done okay with it so far.

I can't believe it has come this far. I'm excited about that. I'm excited about taking it further and seeing what all can be done with this game. I have always wanted to try and do something like this, and now I am. I can't wait to see where it goes next. The Quick Start Charts project has about wrapped up, unless there's a little editing to be done. No new content is likely to go in. The Basic HotDC Rulebook needs to be pushed back up front along with the actual mod ideas I'm working on .

No comments: