Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Thinking About Rules For The Next Book

The Quick Start Charts Book is still at Lulu and there have been 8 downloads and 50 unique page hits so far. I made a clarification and slight adjustment to Incantations. For one thing, I neglected to assign Incantation Points to the Incantations.

I am rethinking some of the rules, but that book is HotDC as it is now. It is a playable and fun game with enough in it for several Adventures. Danger in the Dwarven Dungeon and Issue 1 of The Hero's Chronicle are next on the agenda.

There could easily be some rule additions through either of the next projects, though I don't know for sure.

I am continuing to rethink Incantations. It started based on magic from the old red book that I used back in the day, but that is changing. I'm not even sure we will have Incantation Degrees for that much longer, but Incantations that require a certain amount of Incantation Points. I'm working to make HotDC rules more unique, while retaining simplicity. I continue to look at this and consider the possibilities.

I have a tentative Character Profession called a Blade Mage. As the name implies, he will be part Warrior and part Mage with some restictions and a tougher challenge in gaining Degrees. This is something that could debut in an issue of The Hero's Chronicle. In the old red book, an Elf fit this bill, but HotDC allows the other races to pursue a Profession.

Half Dragons will get another look, though I'm not sure they will make it into HotDC. I'll just have to see what we come up with.

I am also looking at Dragons and Demi Dragons and their potential ability to use Incantations and Shape Shift. This may come up in an Adventure I'm writing (maybe the next one), so I'm jotting down notes. These abilities aren't intended to be basesd on the color of Dragon or Demi Dragon.

There's a little game called Dungeon Squad that has been all the rage in the other rpg's section of the Dragonsfoot forum. The discussion that has created the buzz in in this section of the forum. The rule book is only six pages long. I'm going to take a closer look at this and perhaps contribute to the community. If I do anything, I'll post it here. I do like this little game, which is why it has been linked in my big links section.

No comments: