Monday, September 24, 2007

4th Edition or Neverwinter Nights?

Here's the deal. I was in the name draw pool for 4th Edition play testing of D&D. Didn't get picked, and I didn't expect to. I'm not active on their forum very much. I did post on another thread that I may talk about in another post, but anyway...

I like the cover art of the core 4th Edition books, and the way Chris Perkins spoke at Gencon, it sounds like it could be fun. I like how he spoke of a new Basic D&D, but lack of posts backing up what he said at Gencon make me wonder what will come out next year. Should I get my hopes up? I don't plan to. If they do Basic D&D and do it right, I will buy it.

Now, had I been chosen to play test, I had every intention of setting up a game at my local store with some hard core 3.5'ers and seeing how much fun it is. But, as I said, I wasn't chosen.

So, the question of the post must be asked, NWN or 4e? If I can't find a game, I don't see me spending the money on books. I want to find a game, but it's not always easy. That 3.5 game I was in suffered from a controlling DM and lack of hack. I didn't want to be babied. If my character gets whacked, so be it. I think the new version could be fun if I could find a game that would start from first level.

In the absence of that, I gotta tell you. Neverwinter Nights 1 was fun, and it was on my computer. I have expansions yet to play, plus Neverwinter Nights 2. All the complex rules are played out on the screen, and I don't have need of books or a bunch opf reading. So, if I have to choose, NWN is what I choose. It's cheaper in the long run, but I really would like the table experience.

No comments: