Friday, September 7, 2007

Doing Combat Differently, 0 Degree And Other Stuff

When I started on HotDC, before a Labyrinth Lord was even announced, I made the decision to go another route. The first decision was to lose all but the six sided dice. The second decision was to mimic the old basic game as far as keeping it simple. The combat system has already changed from Armor Level to the Attack Defense System. It has a completely different mechanic from the old basic game. I have decided to look at AL again and possibly propose a rule option in the TKI-1 adventure.

As I said before, I'm just making the two other adjustments with the HotDC Basic Charts Edition, and that's it. The mechanics will be there for people to begin playing. I need to move on to the next phase. I want to get this book out and available to the public.


This is the challenge I've had with HotDC from the first day. There are some good concepts in that old basic game, but I can't just take everything and use it. I need to readjust it. The idea is that it has to be kept simple and easy, or I have defeated the purpose. If you can't jump into HotDC and have a character and a dungeon ready to go within minutes, I haven't done my job right.

The 0 Degree Character and Creature has it's origins from the old Book Of Options my cousin and I did years ago. At the time, I think I was looking for a way a party of 1st level thiefs and magic users could have an adventure without fighters and have a chance at not getting killed every time they entered a dungeon. What I did in the BoO is make a chart of just 1/2 level monsters, creating a few new ones in the process.

In HotDC, there are only going to be 10 Degrees for the Game Characters to advance. That's all I'm planning to cover, because that's all that is needed in this game. Now, somebody may come along with ideas for 10-20 Degrees, but I don't see me creating the Expert or whatever edition of the game. I don't think it's needed. What I did do, back when this was a 7 Degree game, was create a 0 Degree option. Basically, you have to earn 1st Degree. Why should you get it just by starting?

Rules for starting a GC at 0 Degree and Creature Charts for 0 Degree were then created. Part of the fun of the game that my old table forgot about back in the day was earning your first successes. This is why the best armor and weapons aren't going to be affordable at the start. It will be something to earn. Getting that better (but still not magical) sword or armor and earning your 1000th Adventure Point will mean something.

These are things that set the game apart from the old game, while maintaining the spirit of what it was about. I like the old school game feel, and HotDC will retain that as it evolves, or it won't continue. I am looking at EVERY aspect of this game for adjustments that could make it more unique, while keeping it fun and simple. That's the plan, and there is a definite challenge in keeping it different.

I have commented on the Basic Revolution that has begun to stir. What will 4th Edition Basic D&D be? Will there be too many confusing character and combat rules or will they strive for that Moldvay feel? What will Basic C&C be? Basic Hackmaster? I've seen Lejendary Adventures Essentials, and though it comes in a box like the old basic games, it's not that simple. Labyrinth Lord is a faithful interpretation of the old basic game.

While HotDC will be in the spirit of the old game, it will be different. It is my intention to have a post here within the week to announce the release of HotDC Basic Charts Edition. We are starting at Lulu. There will be a free pdf to allow you to check it out. If you like it, a hard copy book will be available for a small fee (less than $10 is the goal). This will be just the first step in Basic Old School Games plan to build Heroes of the Dungeon Crawl.

No comments: