Friday, June 22, 2007

Will Be Joining a 3.5 D&D Game

Kinda talked myself into this one with all the talks I've had with a local game store owner. I have observed a few higher level D&D 3.5 games and had mentioned I'd love to play a newcomers game. Well, it finally happened. In fact, the whole summer has games scheduled for a newcomer campaign in The Forgotten Realms. I feel more comfortable with the old rules, but I'm gonna give this a fair shot. In fact, I just picked up a D&D Players Kit to get me started. I may post observations in a future post. Will I become a regular in this group? Not sure yet.

I will give you a quick first impression of the Players Kit. I'm not impressed with it. In fact, I have a little buyer's remorse over it. One of the things I bought it for was the miniatures. I'm not a miniatures kinda guy anyway. I like the old school approach with the pencil and graph paper, and minis just seem like a money grab to me. But, I bought the kit, and it had 8 minis in it. Why the hell are we putting monster minis in a player's kit? Seems retarded to me. I was hoping for some basic minis, a fighter type, a wizard type, and so on.

The dice in the kit are nice. I'll give them that. The solo adventure is skimpy. On the box it seems like there is more to it than that. The Player's Handbook is the real deal, but soft cover. It has all the info needed for character generating, but I think the hard cover book is a better deal than this kit. There are also two Character Sheets, which is nice. I plan to copy mine so as to keep the original in good shape.

I must confess to being uncomfortable with these rules. Seems a bit much to me, but that's the way they play this game these days. I'm gonna give it a chance and see what happens. I've played Neverwinter Nights on the computer, but the books are a different animal. However, I want the table top experience of RPGing, so I'm gonna give this a chance. Where's an old school Basic Game when you need one?

Oh, and work on Heroes of the Dungeon Crawl will continue. The idea of a Basic Game needs to be persued.

No comments: