Sunday, June 10, 2007

Knights Of The Dinner Table

I wanted to talk for a minute about Knights Of The Dinner Table. This page has a link for it as I really love the magazine. These guys are old school gamers. The Knights and other characters in that book are dead on at times. Other times it may be out there, but you'd probably be amazed at how true to life some of those characters and moments are. The comic centers around five players, BA, Bob, Dave, Brian and Sara, playing the Hackmaster game at the dinner table, but it has grown to include dozens of other characters and gathering places.

I'm not sure how I came across the Knights. Might have been mentioned on a web page, but I had to read it. I aquired all but one of the first 50 comics, and I caught myself laughing out loud often. I love good gamer humor. I fell out of touch for a while and started reading from about issue 74 to 86. Again I missed some issues. It wasn't until a book sale at my local used book store that I came across some Knights Illustrated and Hackmasters of Evernight issues. That clinched it. I picked up 87-100 and finally subscribed.

I love the comics the most out of the magazine, but there are letters to the editior, tales from the table, game reviews, movie reviews from a gamer perspective, game ideas and other stuff. If you haven't seen this magazine, check it out. If you are getting your first taste, get Bundles Of Trouble 1-3 to start with. Classic stuff there. The earlier ones are the funnier ones, while the later ones are more story driven.

My latest issue hasn't arrived yet. Any day now I think. However, there is a mention of Tom Moldvay's passing. Tom influenced many gamers and probably had a touch of influence on the Hackmaster game that KenzerCo makes. If you are a fan of old school gaming, you might want to check out Hackmaster.

Oh and be sure to look at the Knights Of The Dinner Table site as there are some samples of this very excellent comic there.

No comments: