Sunday, May 20, 2007

My Opinions And An RPG Documentary By Dave Arneson

From time to time I will express an opinion here. As people start to read things here (Not sure that's happened yet), I just want to make a few things clear.

1-I am a fan of the basic style of RPG (obviously), but I totally respect the genre and understand why it is what it is as far as complexity and all the books. It needs to be that way. I'm just glad there seems to be a basic movement of late as that is needed as well. Furthermore, I have observed a few D&D 3.5 sessions at my local game store, and it looked like fun to me. I may post my observations at some point. When I find a beginner game nearby, I would like to join in on the fun.

2-I respect Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson for what they've done for RPG gaming. If Dave discovered it and nurtured it in the beginning, Gary cultivated it and (with his team at TSR) took it to heights nobody dreamed of. If I offer any opinions on things from the past, I hope that it's remembered that I respect them both.

3-Well, there is no 3 I can think of. I intend to keep working on Heroes of the Dungeon Crawl.

As for the Documentary, a few years ago, Dave Arneson offered a screening at GenCon of his Documentary about the early days of the RPG called, Dragons In The Basement. Recently at The Wayfarer's Inn, Greg Svenson from Dave's early Blackmoor days posted this:

"Dave Arneson and I are at Recon 07 (a mostly historical gaming con in Orlando) right now. I asked him about Dragons in the Basement at dinner last night. He said it is sitting in a box under a table in his living room and still needs some editing. He indicated that Zeitgeist Games may sell copies of it through their on-line store in the not too distant future."

All I can say is I look forward to this as I'm sure others do.

No comments: