Sunday, May 6, 2007

Let A Dwarf Be A Dwarf

I had toyed with changing names of Dwarves, Elves and Halflings, but at this moment I will be leaving them as is in HotDC. I'm being very careful to try to steer clear of things that may be other's IP. There are certain creatures, for instance, that won't be among the 99 or so listed in the rule book for Basic Heroes of the Dungeon Crawl. Serveral terms used in HotDC will be different than the better known ones for that very reason, but I just want a Dwarf to be a Dwarf. Dwarves exist in several RPG's, so I'm leaving them in.

Though Section 2 of the book is still in progress, I've been using that beat up old note book to jot down several notes and charts. I want to get another test session going for HotDC soon. Will it be too lethal or not tough enough? I gotta know. I want to put the Attack-Defense System through it's paces. The last session I tested used the Armor Level System (Similar to the Armor Class System of the old red book), but I wanted to go different.

I have added a new species of Dragons known as Demi Dragons. These critters are still big, but small compared to the bigger variety many GC's have come to know and fear. They won't pack the same punch, but they can still take out a party and they are being designed with new GC's in mind rather than higher Degree GC's. There will be risk, yet rewards for battling these creatures.

I have some other ceatures from the old Pro Set and Book Of Options that I wrote back in my old red book gaming days, and some of these may make it into the Basic HotDC rule book. The beauty of HotDC is that the Hero Guide can easily adjust any creature to be a challenge for a GC of any Degree. Think Goblins are just a pushover? Think again. This will all be explained in the book.

We'll have charts for random treasures, creatures and that sort of thing. In fact, I have a rough draft of the treasure chart done and a chart for 0 and 1st Degree Creatures already. Magic Incantation charts have been written. I'm working on movement charts and equipment charts. Though some work is getting done, it still feels like it's taking forever. I'm realizing how big a project I have taken on, but I think I can do okay with it.

No comments: