Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Intro From Tom's Basic

This was posted over at Dragonsfoot

From the Foreward, Dungeons and Dragons Basic Set, 1981, Tom Moldvay ed.:

I was busy rescuing the captured maiden when the dragon showed up. Fifty feet of scaled terror glared down at us with smoldering red eyes. Tendrils of smoke drifted out from between fangs larger than daggers. The dragon blocked the only exit from the cave.

Sometimes I forget that D&D Fantasy Adventure Game is a game and not a novel I'm reading or a movie I'm watching. The original D&D rules are a classic. They gave the first gaming system for fantasy role playing and, in my opinion, are still the best set of rules on the market. When I revised the rules I tried to maintain the spirit of the earlier rules.

Tom, you sell yourself short. For me, your version of D&D will always hold a magical place in my heart, not only because it was the first version of the game I encountered, but after 27 years it still remains my favorite.

I unwrapped the sword which the mysterious cleric had given me. The sword was golden-tinted steel. Its hilt was set with a rainbow collection of precious gems. I shouted my battle cry and charged.

My charge caught the dragon by surprise. Its titanic jaws snapped shut inches from my face. I swung the golden sword with both arms. The swordblade bit into the dragon's neck and continued through to the other side. With an earth-shaking crash, the dragon dropped dead at my feet. The magic sword had saved my life and ended the reign of the dragon-tyrant. The countryside was freed and I could return as a hero.

No comments: