Wednesday, April 4, 2007

A Few Pages Written

After my last entry, I began writing some of what I had outlined for the HotDC Basic Edition rulebook. It felt pretty good to finally start working on this book. It's still not an indication that the book is ahead of schedule. I have no release date as of yet, but it is nice to finally get started. The first section of the book is nearly complete, but it is the smallest section. Plus, there are eight other sections planned.

Section 1 is the introduction and explains some of the terms used in the book. I have created several new terms (Hero Guide, Armor Level, Life Points and others), but don't worry. The game play will have a familliar feel to that of the old basic game from the early 80's. I will be creating several new creatures to battle, and the plan is to include roughly 100 creeatures in this book. As I have said, this book will be the only one you will need to play Heroes of the Dungeon Crawl.

The process for this game actually started a few years ago. I began outlining rules I intended to use. However, I was working on other projects and accidently lost the file I was using. A few months ago, on a walk around town, I found an empty note pad and a pen. I decided to sit down and throw some ideas down on paper. The name came first. I wanted something that expressed the game's feeling. Good old fashioned Dungeon Crawling.

The original name a few years ago was Swords & Serphants or something simillar. The idea to use just six sided dice was from that time. I wanted to differentiate from current trends and keep it simple. As gamer character class and race ideas were comitted to paper that day, along with creatures and magic incantations, I got more excired about this project. I have continued to jot down notes in that beat up note pad, but now some typing has begun too.

I really can't wait to complete this project and hold a copy of the book in my hand.

No comments: