Monday, April 16, 2007

The Challenges Of Doing It Differently

When I started on this road to creating the Heroes of the Dungeon Crawl Basic Edition rulebook, I wanted to mimic the old red book that I knew and loved back in the day. As I have worked on this project, the game mechanics have taken a different direction. I decided that following the old rules too closely wouldn't be wise, and simply changing names on those mechanics would not be the way to go.

I intend to make the rules as easy to understand (and get to playing) as possible, and I will be following the approach to explaining them as laid out in the red book. But these rules will be different. The combat will be based on the AttackDefense System (ADS) that I have worked on over the last week or so. The Safety Throw System has been redone, but as with the ADS, it will not be too complicated. I am looking at the Priest rules for Repelling the Living Dead and may adjust them as well. And, this will be be playable using just six sided dice.

The next test session is on hold, but will happen soon. Here's what I can tell you about Basic HotDC at the moment.

Release Date: Hope to make it in September 2007, but that's not firm.

Game Characters Available: Rogue, Mage, Priest(ess) and Warrior. Possibly as many as six races, no multi classing.

Rule Book Page Count: Shooting for 60-80 pages. Don't have art work to go with it, other than clip art, but I'm exploring all options.

Creatures Available In Rule Book: About 100 at the moment, but this is being reworked and adjusted.

Game Character Advancement: 11 Degrees (Levels) from 0 to 10th.

Magic Incantations (Spells) Available: Five Degrees (Levels), about 30 each for Mage and Priest.

Lots of fun stuff, I hope. I plan on creating some Dungeon Adventure Modules, and possibily even a setting.

Anyway, I just wanted to put an update here. I am adjusting things contantly. I'd like to be doing this faster, but I want to do it right too. That's more important to me.

No comments: