Friday, March 16, 2007

It All Started With A Red Book

For me, at least, it all started with a red book, called Basic Dungeons & Dragons. There is a debate on the web about who did a better job with BD&D, Tom Moldvay or Frank Mentzer. I suppose if pressed I would say the old Modvay red book and David Cook (Expert) Blue Book. That's where I started with my brother and my cousin some 25 years ago. With all due respect to Frank, I will say he took Basic all the way to 36th level, did a top notch job of it and made Basic easier to understand for newcomers But, Moldvay did some of my favorite modules.

By the way, HotDC will have at least one module, based in part on the very first dungeon my brother DM'ed me through (If In Doubt, Seek It Out).

Though Gary Gygax had bigger fish to fry and created Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, complete with a pile of rule books that many still use to this day, I have always preferred that red book and the simple, easy to understand rules. Though AD&D had more, BD&D offered hours and hours for us to enjoy.

HotDC will be different in some places, and familliar in others, but it is ultimately a different game than what was in that old red book. I hope it will prove to be enjoyable to those who want to sit down and get a game going with as little fuss as possible. I will offer up more details in the near future as I start getting things together.

No comments: