Saturday, March 31, 2007

Introducing Heroes of the Dungeon Crawl (Basic Edition)

This is something I was working on for the book. May not use it, so I'll post it here.

It was about 25 Years ago when I first played a Role Playing Game. It was a Basic game that allowed newcomers like myself to easily learn the ropes without a pile of books and rules to study. In a matter of minutes, I was rolling the dice and off on my first of many adventures.

What I liked about that game was it was simple, while offering loads of content for hours and hours of game time. We would spend countless hours exploring multi leveled dungeons, revealed to us a little bit at a time on graph paper. I remember the anticipation and excitement as we approached a door, wondering what might be behind it.

When I decided to revisit the world of RPG gaming after a few years away from the action, I felt bombarded by stacks of rule books and miniature figures. This was a turn off to me. I mean, if I wanted to sit at a table and study a pile of books, I'd go back to high school. What happened to that simple game that I loved?

Don't misunderstand me. Those other games offer loads of fun and adventure, but the massive pile of books needed for some of them are a turn off to potential new players. They require more money and study time than some people are willing to spend. I couldn't help but think that a simpler game system could help introduce many newcomers to the wonderful world or RPG's.

Where is that game that can have the players exploring a dungeons full of monsters and treasures in a matter of minutes? Well, look no further. Heroes of the Dungeon Crawl is here, and all you need to start playing is a pencil and some paper, at least one six sided dice (three minimum recommended) and this book.

HotDC has been simplified and goes back to the roots of table top RPG'ing. We start with four major classes (Warrior, Rogue, Mage and Priest) and four races (Human, Elf, Dwarf and Halfling). We use a simple system for combat and Magic. We keep the game simple. If you seek a game with many charts for combat and magic, seek elsewhere.

This book will show you the simple to understand rules for HotDC, and you can be playing in minutes. An optional set of rules are included in back for playing "Board Game Style" without a DM.

What's not inside are sets of charts for optional rules for fighting and spell casting. If you want rules for doing a back flip, decapitating your enemy, while blindfolded, followed by dancing a happy little jig over the corpse of your vanquished foe, you have the wrong game.

So, don't be afraid. Create that Warrior or Rogue, get that spell book or holy symbol, grab your dice, and let's go. There's trouble in the dungeon. There's riches to be found. Only you can make a difference. Are you brave enough to get the job done?

No comments: