Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Is There Gonna Be An Expert Edition?

I'm sure this will be the question on some people's minds as more details about the Basic Edition of Heroes of the Dungeon Crawl are ironed out and made public. To be honest, I'm not really sure, but I can tell you one thing. There are no plans for an Advanced Edition. Seriously, though, the game I'm working on is all I'm concerned with, and there is plenty of work to do if I want to get it right. Basic HotDC covers levels 0-7, and I'm hoping there are enough challenges for the players there, such as just survivng

However, there is another aspect I'm working on here, and that's customizability. In the 100 or so pages of the rule book, there are times when I will suggest options and discuss briefly why you may or may not want to do things differently. While the goal is to give basic rules for the Hero Guide and his players to get on with the game, there will be plenty of room for you to keep, dismiss or add rules as you see fit. I am merely attemting with HotDC to get players to the table as easily as possible so the fun can begin.

It may be that an Expert Edition will be needed to expand things another 5 or so levels. For my part, I'm more concerned with getting the rules together and typing them in an easy to understand format that will get games moving swiftly. The most likely format for HotDC will be download or one of the online print sites, but my first priority is getting the book done. At this point, we don't even have art for the rule book. So, any question of future books is a little premature.

When the rule book is done, I'd rather put a campaign or at least a Dungeon Crawl together next to help make it easier for players to get started.

No comments: